Using the Digital Social Landscape to Pay It Forward in Business
I’m a big believer in ‘what goes around, comes around’. As a marketer this has come through for me big-time in the social media landscape, where I’ve “met” and connected with some awesome folks who get the idea of shared information and support to make us all better at what we do.
The idea of the digital social landscape is to do just that: be social and use digital to build relationships through content, sharing, and advocacy. If you make it about others as well as yourself, it will come back to you and your business will thrive.
I’ve tried to pay it forward as others in my network have, and these are some things I’ve learned and done along the way, that I think everyone in business should consider.
- Share valuable content provided by people in your network. Take 20 minutes each week to proactively look for meaningful content in places like your Twitter or LinkedIn feeds and like, share, comment on, or recommend it.
- Take the time to comment on blog posts or articles from your network that you find particularly meaningful or valuable.
- Add links to other people’s content on your website or blog posts to support like-minded people whose offer/content aligns with your own, and may be of value to your constituents.
- Tweet, post and share content from folks in your network who are announcing a new venture, launching a new product, or doing something really cool. Help them get the word out (if you believe in what they’re doing that is).
- Go to LinkedIn, Google or similar channels to post something nice about someone whom you’ve had a good experience with, who you believe in or who has offered value to your business. Surprise someone with an unsolicited promotion or recommendation.
- Thank folks in your network who are adding value to your business. Maybe (as has been the case with my network) they are teaching you new things, helping you to stay up on trends or even providing leads. Think of how you can show your appreciation for their place in your business life.
The point is: At the end of the day, we’re all in the business of building awareness about what we do and what we offer, so why not be in this game together. Use the digital social landscape to pay it forward and it will come back two-fold. At least it has for me.
Download this handy overview.