Dear B2B Marketing Consultant – What Services Do You Offer?
As a B2B marketing consultant I get asked a lot about what I do and don’t do, because the term ‘consultant’ can mean many things. I’m sure others do too; everyone has different competencies or experiences that shape what they do and don’t offer.
In 2012 I broke away from Corporate America to be a freelance virtual marketing communications consultant. At that time B2Bs had few choices for high-quality, fast, affordable, and practical consultation that connected strategy with execution. I sought to fill this gap and also stood out by offering my services virtually (before it was a thing). Here’s the gist of how I roll today.
Why people hire me
People usually hire me for my experience as a communications strategist and marketing generalist. I have a strong background in B2B marketing and a unique understanding of how best to: 1) figure out the ‘story’ and 2) devise a communications plan and content mix that supports brand awareness, the sales process, employee engagement, and customer loyalty. I’m also a strong project leader and can work on a contract basis to oversee content development, processes, metrics, tactics, and people to ensure business goals are met.
Problems I can help solve
1. You want to figure out your brand’s position and message.
- You need help confirming your underlying value and secret sauce as well as your positioning and narrative. Or…
- You’ve done some research and analysis to start the process of developing your brand’s strategy, but need feedback or guidance from someone who can quickly get your business and steer you in the right direction.
2. You need to invest more in marketing but don’t have a leader to guide you.
- You don’t have budget for a senior marketing leader full time but once in a while you need coaching, auditing, planning, or managing from someone who is more experienced in strategic principles or the nuances of B2B sales.
3. You’re working out a content strategy to create awareness and get leads
- You and your team have lots of ideas, but you’re all over the place and not sure how to prioritize. You need someone to give you structure or you need feedback and an outside perspective on tactical ideas you are considering. Or…
- You want to develop case studies, explainer videos, media pitches, press releases, and other narrative-type content, but need extra help (from someone who will easily get your business and your customers) to develop a strategy & approach as well as storyboards & scripts.
4. You need extra help to manage communication projects.
- You have a strategy and a team, but sometimes need extra help on a contract basis to: 1) oversee and manage content development; 2) develop an integrated communications plan to launch a new product, program or service; 3) roll out an important internal communications plan; 4) help executives develop compelling story-based presentations for important events.
My favorite thing to do and why
Brand Strategy is my fave. The reason is that this is the biggest of the big picture considerations (in my opinion), and if you get it right you will grow faster.
- Brand Strategy means defining what you stand for – your purpose; your secret sauce; your values; your tone. It informs everything you do and say as a company, including all marketing communications. If business leaders are effective at setting this foundation every investment, decision, and activity within the company to serve customers and promote the business, is much easier.
Why I’m not always a good fit
Sometimes a full-service agency or specialist may be a better option. Let’s say you have a marketing plan with data & key performance indicators and a small team managing it, but you need to focus on a specific area to up your game. For example, you need to overhaul your website, audit & update your SEO to factor in AI, integrate various tools with your website & CRM, or create a national PR campaign.
- For specific areas like these, it is often better to hire a specialist or agency who does nothing but the thing you require.
- That said, if you are not sure how to direct or manage the scope of work (or the team) for these activities, I can coach on-demand and as needed so that you are set up for success and thinking about things the right way.
How I charge
Exact charges will depend on a variety of factors. Here’s what I mean:
- If I’m hired for a straightforward consulting gig where you just need my advice for a short while, I charge by the hour and you can buy a block of time.
- If I’m hired to write content or develop presentation decks, I may charge by the hour. Or I may charge a fixed rate based on the piece (e.g., case study, pitch deck, or video). Or I may charge a monthly fee if it ends up being retainer work.
- If I’m hired to help develop as well as implement a marketing plan and content strategy, I’m going to need resources, so my fees will depend on whether I need to bring in subcontractors from my virtual team. I can also oversee the work with your team or your agency partner, but my fees will still vary because execution is where things get hard, and I must ensure I can give sufficient headspace and time to your needs. I offer this capability because many growing companies don’t want to invest in a marketing leader, i.e., they just have worker bees and therefore need to fill gaps to have someone that’s more experienced steer the ship and help ensure the team is working on the right things in the right way.
Last updated Sept 18, 2022